Thursday, June 30, 2011

Warning: Rocketfish Mobile leather folio stains HTC Flyer

Htc-flyer-rockfish-folio (1)

There aren't a whole lot of HTC Flyer accessories out there right now, especially in local stores, so you may be tempted to pay $52.99 for Best Buy's Rocketfish Mobile leather folio. It's a nice-looking case with a slim profile, magnetic closure, and the option to fold it backward for use as a stand.

But don't buy it.

I used it for a few weeks with the Flyer and while I was perfectly happy while doing so, I was oblivious to what was going on inside the case. What I discovered while preparing to send the loaner unit back to HTC was that the black lining had stained the device's white plastic. And based on my cleaning attempts, the stains appear to be permanent.

Htc-flyer-rockfish-folio (11)

Htc-flyer-rockfish-folio (3)

Htc-flyer-rockfish-folio (10)

Htc-flyer-rockfish-folio (9)

Htc-flyer-rockfish-folio (8)

Once I put the Flyer into the case (a few weeks ago), it stayed there. And if I didn't have to return the unit to HTC, it would've continued to stay there. If not for the staining, which is worse on the top and bottom edges than on the other surfaces, I would have recommended this folio to anyone looking for a case.

I was also planning to use it with the HTC EVO View 4G (Sprint's sleeker version of the Flyer), which I'm buying when it's released next Friday, but when I returned the Flyer to HTC, I also returned the case to Best Buy.

Htc-flyer-rockfish-folio (12)

Htc-flyer-rockfish-folio (4)

Htc-flyer-rockfish-folio (7)

Htc-flyer-rockfish-folio (5)

Htc-flyer-rockfish-folio (6)

I suppose it's possible that this is an isolated occurrence and it may not even matter to those who never plan to take the Flyer out of the case, but the only time I'll ever mention the Rocketfish Mobile leather folio again is to warn case-seekers about it.

No comments: