Saturday, August 13, 2011

Windows Phone Evangelist Departs Microsoft

Charlie Kindel

Long-time Microsoft veteran Charlie Kindel, who led the effort to recruit developers for the Windows Phone group, has unexpectedly resigned to start his own company. Kindel announced his decision Monday on his personal blog, saying that he is "not yet ready to disclose details about the new venture," other than that it will be in the Seattle area.

Kindel worked at Microsoft for 21 years and was instrumental in evangelizing the Windows Phone platform, which has some 27,000 apps after about nine months on the market, but has many miles to go to achieve the popularity of Apple's iOS and Google's Android mobile operating systems.

He also posted his farewell email to his Microsoft colleagues. At the end of a long list of memories and shout-outs to fellow Microsofties, Kindel did a round-up of major projects he was involved with in Redmond, stretching from Windows 2.0 and 3.0 SDK and DDK Support through to Windows Home Server and Yam Yamanote! —the Windows Phone 7 App Platform.

Kindel also saved some of his funniest bits for his family:

"To my wife: Thank you for putting up with 'Microsoft Time' ('Honey, I'll be home in an hour.' Four hours later ...). I've learned everything I know from Julie Kindel.

"To my kids: No, just because I don't work at Microsoft anymore you may not use Google. Remember, every time you use Google, a puppy dies."

He concluded his goodbye email with this:

"Back in 1990 I assumed I'd work here for three or so years. I'm an entrepreneur at heart and every few years I'd lift up my head and look around. I never had the need to look outside Microsoft because I kept finding one challenging opportunity after another.

"21 years later I have finally decided I need to do something different: I'm leaving to start a new company here in the Seattle area. I'm sure you'll hear about it.

"There has been one constant in every job I've had at Microsoft: People way smarter than me. Microsoft has always enabled me to 'play up.' It has truly been an honor working with all of you. Thank you for helping me grow as an engineer, a manager, a businessman, and as a person."


Source:http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2390665,00.asp?kc=PCRSS05039TX1K0000762

No comments: