Thursday, September 8, 2011

Amazon delivering to 7-Eleven lockers in Seattle


As a gadget reviewer, I receive a lot of things delivered to me. Seldom do I get anything from Amazon, but the World’s Biggest Bookstore is now working on a way to change the way we receive deliveries as we know it.

Instead of letting the package come to you, now you can come to it. Amazon is setting up lockers at 7-Eleven mini marts in Seattle, where the company is based.

Amazon customers will be told that their order is ready to pick up through a notification email, and will be given a pin number. They can soon journey to the nearest 7-Eleven, input the number on a touchscreen, and open up their locker to receive their product.

I have to admit that I admire Amazon and 7-Eleven’s “meet me halfway” program, and I am guessing that this saves a bundle on shipping. Why pay FedEx or UPS or other third party shipping company when Amazon can just get a delivery truck of their own and make rounds to the local 7-Elevens? I would imagine that this could eliminate the need for boxes.

Right now, Amazon is taking this new “locker program” through trials. If it works locally, I would imagine that it will be adapted nationally. However, third party shipping companies will have to get involved unless the company has figured out a way to do it themselves.

Source:http://www.coolest-gadgets.com/20110906/amazon-delivering-7eleven-lockers-seattle/

No comments: